January 13, 2018
You can expect a new set of parental controls features on your Chrome browser shortly. In an announcement made earlier this week, Google said parental controls and other restrictions called Chrome Supervised Users will soon be shutting down.
Launched way back in 2013, Chrome Supervised Users allowed parents to lock down the Chrome browser on a device. This included blocking access to certain websites, SafeSearch for filtering Google Search results, and also keeping the history of websites visited. This feature set will now be deprecated, said Google’s email shared with the program’s users.
Starting from January 12, 2018, users will no longer be able to create or re-import supervised users. “Since we launched Chrome Supervised Users in beta preview over four years ago, Chrome and the way we use computing devices have evolved significantly,” the email explained. “We’ve learned a lot in these four years, and heard feedback about how we can improve the experience for you and your children. Based on this feedback, we are working on a new set of Chrome OS supervision features specifically for the needs of families to launch later this year,” it said.